Life on a Roller Coaster

"When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

October 13, 2005

I Carry Your Heart With Me

I Carry Your Heart With Me
by E.E. Cummings
i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart)
i am never without it (anywhere i go you go, my dear;
and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet)
i want no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;
which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)

******************************************************
At the moment of the movie, In Her Shoes, when Cameron Diaz stands before a crowd gathered for her sister's wedding she reads this poem to tell her sister just how much she means to her. It was a beautiful moment, not only because for the first time in their lives they both knew that without each other they didn't make sense but "Maggie" was finally able to overcome the thing her life that has made her run away from success and meaning - her inability to read caused by dyslexia. Now the dyslexia has no real relation to my life but the movie and poem bring out the feelings in me, and so many others, the feeling of realizing just how much other people in your lives mean to you. My sister who is so far away, my cousin that is going to places where he needs to know that we are "with" him, my other cousin that I hope she knows that I am with her always even when I am not sure she remembers me as her friend...my friends that I don't see as much as I should but always think about, and my friends that I do see but probably don't tell enough that I am here for them too. It was a great movie and this poem as the perfect way to end it - or more - the perfect way to sum up the feelings that we all share for ones that we love and will love forever, for the ones that we take with us when we leave places, for the ones that mean the world to us in ways we can't explain.... I carry your heart..I carry it in my heart.

1 Comments:

Blogger caprice said...

i thought it was moving too. for me it was the friends i don't see and my sister that i am not close with and my sisters that i don't even know.
i really liked your post!

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home